Legal Counsel Responsibilities
Description of our Company, Genius Fund: Genius Fund is a private equity fund with $40,000,000 under management, focusing on investments in the cannabis space. In addition to a fund, GF also has an internal arm which develops branded dispensaries and THC/CBD retail products.
We are looking for a highly qualified in-house Legal Counsel to oversee the legal aspects of our business. The cannabis industry is highly regulated and complex. Our in-house Legal Counsel must be extremely comfortable operating in the cannabis industry, have extraordinary attention to detail, and be able to easily digest new laws as they are implemented on the state and local level in the many jurisdictions we operate.
The successful candidate will effectively ensure legal conformity and minimize probability of exposure.
· Work with outside counsel on the various aspects of our business.
· Complete due diligence on potential acquisitions / investments
· Give accurate and timely counsel to executives in a variety of legal topics (cannabis law, partnerships, international ventures, corporate finance etc.)
· Collaborate with management to devise efficient defense strategies
· Specify internal governance policies and regularly monitor compliance
· Research and evaluate different risk factors regarding business decisions and operations
· Apply effective risk management techniques and offer proactive advise on possible legal issues
· Communicate and negotiate with external parties (regulators, external counsel, public authority etc.), creating relations of trust
· Draft and solidify agreements, contracts and other legal documents to ensure the company’s full legal rights
· Deal with complex matters with multiple stakeholders and forces
· Provide clarification on legal language or specifications to everyone in the organization
· Conduct your work with integrity and responsibility
· Maintain current knowledge of alterations in legislation
· Proven experience as a legal counsel in business environment
· Proven experience in the cannabis space
· Excellent knowledge and understanding of corporate law and procedures and cannabis related laws
· Full comprehension of the influences of the external environment of a corporation
· Demonstrated ability to create legal defensive or proactive strategies
· High degree of professional ethics and integrity
· Sound judgement and ability to analyze situations and information
· Outstanding communication skills
· BSc degree in Law or J.D. degree
· MA or BSc in Business Administration will be considered an advantage;